Monday, November 02, 2009

Wrecking Ball

On Wednesday November 4, 2009, the Oregon Public Broadcasting show "Think Out Loud", hosted by Emily Harris will focus on the PERS system in Oregon. The show will air at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday and again at 7:00 p.m. The show can also be streamed from the OPB website. At this point, I'm not sure who all the guests will be. I *may* be one, although I have not been extended an invitation yet (I've been contacted, but I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet). Greg Hartman, someone from OPRI, and Paul Cleary are known to be involved. This could be a seminal show as it may be possible to divine what PERS opponents have in store for actives and current retirees during the next election or Legislative cycle. With the Whoregonian and the Statesman Journal both publishing major articles on the PERS system in the past two weeks, and the Whoregonian editorializing on the sad state of affairs there, it seems quite likely that we have not yet eluded the snare of the fowler. There are many out there who would like to apply the wrecking ball to PERS and this next Legislative session (2011) may be the year of our discontent. In the meantime, plan to listen, plan to call in, plan to participate on the "Think Out Loud" blog. Register early so you don't waste any time while the show is airing.

1 comment:

mrfearless47 said...

I had a brief chat with one of the interns working the show late this afternoon. I won't know much of anything until about 12:30 tomorrow. If they offer me a slot, I will probably take it and will let people know on this blog.