Friday, October 23, 2009

I Got The News

This is only the second or third post that doesn't really involve PERS, except tangentially. It really doesn't involve anything except to let people know I'm still alive and writing. I receive a daily investment update and today's update seems to be related almost entirely to public employment retirement systems. I'll just share the headlines: "MacFarlane quits as CalPERS real estate manager"; "New York State delays $1 billion pension contribution"; "North Carolina puts placement agent rules in place"; "Oregon treasurer undergoes treatment for cancer".

I find all this news on the same day a bit creepy. Ben Westlund's recurrence of lung cancer is worrisome. He heads the Treasury and the OIC. I don't know the internal structure of Treasury well and I don't know how things could play out if Westlund is unable to return to work. I'd hate to give our lamebrain Governor the right to choose Westlund's replacement; god knows what we'd get. Just the though scares me.

Fortunately it is neither Friday the 13th nor Hallowe'en, so perhaps these aren't omens of the future. They seem too close together for comfort.

Back to my cave.


No comments: