Thursday, December 23, 2021

It’s Goodbye and So Long To You

As the winter holidays approach, my family and I wish you the best holiday season possible.  May the lengthening light of day shine bright and warmly on you.

In more practical terms, this post formally closes off any further posts to this blog, a variant of which has been online since 2001.  It also marks the official transfer of ownership of the Google newsgroup known as PERS OREGON DISCUSSION from me to a new group of owners who have promised me that it will remain up and offer the same level of courteous help that it has been known for since 2008.

While my interest in PERS probably won’t wane, my willingness to participate in further deep dives into the nuances and complexities of the system has reached its natural end.  I’m not getting any younger, I hope that I have many years of traveling and photography left in me.  Our travel plans grow more complex and lengthier each year, no small thanks to Covid.  The bottom line is that my fascination with PERS has run its course and no changes anticipated or proposed or even imagined are likely to affect me or anyone already retired.  The Legislature just keeps making the system more complex, less transparent, and figuring out what is going on, who it affects (or doesn’t) is no longer obvious. Their approach is more like a death by a thousand cuts.  None of this interests me, moves me, or motivates me any more.  I’ve served the PERS Community for 20+ years.  I have nothing more to offer.  It is time for younger people to take up the challenge.

I want to thank everyone who contributed ideas, information, problems that formed the bulk of the posts archived here.  I thank the PERS Staff who graciously and kindly answered my questions and recognized that I wasn’t a pest, but a well-educated guy with a natural math ability and a deep understanding of pensions, politics, and how to identify a problem when it arose.  Having an extensive background in software programming didn’t hurt either, especially when probing for operational definitions of legislative concepts.  I have enjoyed a good working relationship with many legislators of both parties.  But all those connections are no longer germane, as every single person I worked with over the past 20+ years has either retired, moved on to other positions, or has passed away.

So, today marks the official end of this blog.  I will keep it up so that it remains a resource for any who are interested in the issues that marked the period in PERS History between 2001-2021.  I can guarantee that history often repeats itself.  These posts may turn out to be prescient predictors of future paths of PERS peril.

Seasons greetings and a happy new year to all.  Thank you all again.  It has been a ride.

Marc R. Feldesman 


8 comments:

Spake said...

This is just so sad and final to see it here. To see it in writing, that even the Fearless Blog goes the way of all things that eventually crumble, and that we have cherished and relied on. Marc, I have felt like you are a trusted friend, even though I have no right to claim that closeness. I still hold out hope that your voice will never be silenced, and that those golden tones will grace us all in moments of your choosing. Thank you for all of your shared wisdom and wit, it will always be remembered and treasured.
Thus,
Spake Zarathustra

zeke said...

Thank you for all the time, effort, and knowledge.

PS I am currently shopping for a 1000 Band-Aids for those PERS thousand cuts you mentioned. Wish me luck - I will need it.

Michael (aka Zeke)

Montana bound! said...

Thank you Marc. No one knows PERS better than you, and I cannot imagine trying to navigate my retirement without you. You have helped thousands of PERS recipients and I hope you realize the impact you had on all of us.

Bud the Clark said...

Thank you for all your hard work over the years. Safe travel and the best sunlight possible.

Bud the Clark said...

Mark thank you so much for your tireless and complete devotion to keeping PERS retirees informed and educated about their pension. You will be missed,

oregontrailster said...

Thanks Marc you have given far more than anyone & we are all better off due to your efforts. I hope we can have lunch and talk about what the future holds for all of us.

mrfearless47 said...

Oregontrailster. Anytime. Let me know.

Philip Carson said...

Thankyou for all the work you put into this and good luck happy travels