Monday, October 22, 2018

Keep It Loose, Keep It Tight

Things have been quiet on the PERS front these days.  The new PERS Executive Director has been in his office for 3 months now, and we’ve finally gotten a new PERS By The Numbers, which confirms that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Ted Sickinger is still writing his anti-PERS screeds for the Whoregonian, and both the Whoregonian and the Portland Tribune have both endorsed a Republican for Oregon Governor.  These are not surprising endorsements, but, hopefully, they will make no difference in the outcome of the most expensive election in Oregon’s history.  Just remember to VOTE, VOTE, VOTE.  VOTE as if your life depended on it - it might, metaphorically speaking.

This site will go silent until after the election - not as if it has been loquacious before the election.  But I will literally be on the far side of the world from Halloween until close to Thanksgiving in East Africa.  Once I return, I hope to offer some commentary on what 2019 portends, especially after I’ve had a chance to digest (or upchuck) the results of the 2018 elections.

In the meantime, watch this space for more commentary sometime closer to Thanksgiving.  If you haven’t bought anything through the Amazon links on this site, I just wanted to let you know that those purchases help keep this site up, even when I’m not actively writing.  Donations through the PayPal link are always appreciated if you don’t do your shopping with Amazon.  Thank you to all of those who purchase through the Amazon link (you know who you are even if I don’t).  And thank you to all who have donated through the PayPal link.

Until I return - keep it loose, keep it tight.

5 comments:

M&S said...

"Keep it loose, Keep it tight" Or, as novelist Robert Crais used in the Joe Pike/Elvis Cole novel THE WATCHMAN: "Stay groovy" (a phrase passed between Vietnam vets for when the danger level was very high).
PS Where's Wavy Gravy when his country really needs him?
Safe travels.....

mrfearless47 said...

I use Joe Pike’s greetings when I receive an unwanted phone call. It varies between “Speak!” Or “Gun Shop”.

gregb2781 said...

I am proudly voting for Buehler. Oregon is in complete gridlock with Democrats controlling the House and Senate and a failed Governor. Issues in Oregon are bigger than just PERS and you have unethical Democrats sticking it to every Oregonian with new taxes while refusing to call them taxes. Go buy a new vehicle and you will pay a "privilege" tax.

Oregon is better off having a moderate Governor who is a check on the legislature and will actually work to get things done instead of paying back the Unions who own her.

mrfearless47 said...

Thomas B. One of the beauties of a democracy (at least so far) is that you get to proudly vote for whomever you want.

oregontrailster said...

Like others on this site I've already done my civic duty & voted. I'll make sure to buy my next purchase on Amazon through this website. In the mail on 60 minutes last night there were several comments noting the previous week's stories were all non political & that it was a pleasure watching reports that avoided the mess in Washington. Thus I think I'll skip the politics & wish you a pleasant trip. Perhaps we can have lunch again after you return & talk about your trip.
Steve B.