Friday, December 22, 2017

The Far Side of The World

I’m going to end the year on a semi-positive note, by simply making the post the lyrics to a song I love (the title of this post).  A bit of context.  This song was written and recorded in early 2001, before 9/11 and after the 2000 elections.  It remains as fresh today as it was in 2001.  It is an optimistic song, and describes my own wishes and goals for the next few years.  I give it to you as a Holiday greeting and well wishes on your own retirements.   (Lyrics are copyright, Jimmy Buffett 2001).

 

"Far Side Of The World"

Ramadan is over,
The new moon's shown her face,
I'm halfway round the planet,
In a most unlikely place.

Following my song line
Past bamboo shacks and shops
Behind a jitney packed like sardines,
With bananas piled on top.

I ran away from politics,
It's too bizarre at home.
Away I flew, tuned into Blue
"Maybe Amsterdam or Rome"

Awakened by a stewardess,
With Spain somewhere below.
On the threshold of adventure,
God I do love this job so.

So while I make my move
On the big board game
Up and down a Spanish highway,
Some things remain the same.
Girls meet boys
and the boys tease girls
I'm heading out this morning,
For the Far Side of the World.

Oh I believe in song lines
Obvious and not
I'd ridden them like camels
To some most peculiar spots.

They run across the oceans
Through mountains and saloons
And tonight out to the dessert
Where I sit atop this dune.

I was destined for this vantage point
Which is so far from the Sea
I've lived it in the pages of Saint-Exupery

From Paris to Tunisia
Casablanca to Dakar
I was riding long before I flew
Through the wind and sand and stars.

Caravan
Ride that hump
And Timbuktu's a jillion bumps
Sleeping bags and battle flags
Are coiled and furled
That's the way you travel
To the far side of the world!

A Sunset framed by lightening bolts
Burns a lasting memory
And a string of tiny twinkling lights
adorn the sausage tree.
While the embers from the log fire
Flicker, fly, and twirl
Then drift off toward the cosmos
From the Far Side of the World.
Well it's Christmas and my birthday
and so to that extent
The Masai not the wise men
Are circling my tent.
I teach them how to play guitar
They show me how to dance
We have rum from the Caribbean
And Burgundy from France.

New Year's Eve in Zanzibar
With Babu and his boys
High up on the rooftop
You can relish all the noise.

They are dancing on the tables
People bouncing like gazelles
Two 0-0-1 is ushered in
With air raid horns and bells.

Time to sing time to dance
Living out my second chance.

Cobras and sleeping bags are coiled and curled
That's the way it happens
On the Far Side of the World.

Back at home, it's afternoon
Six thousand miles away.
I will still be there when I get through
Attending this soiree

There are jobs and chores and questions
And plates I need to twirl,
But tonight I'll take my chances,
On the Far Side of the World.
That's the way it happens
On the Far Side of the World.

 

 

Happy Holidays To All

10 comments:

Jayne said...

Very Nice!

Worried said...

Hello! I just read the article at this link concerning California’s PERS situation and wondered if Oregon might face something similar. https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-calpers-unfunded-liability-20170605-story,amp.html

mrfearless47 said...

Not likely. Oregon has a different legal system than California.

lk said...

PERS benefits calculator shows the difference between retiring in Dec. 2017 and Dec. 2018: $200 per month for life. PERS said the difference would be made up by April 2018, but comparing printouts of estimates, it looks more like two years to make up the difference. Also, the IAP accounts of older active workers are being limited severely without any choice, it is strictly applied by age. This amounts to age discrimination, and should be against the law. I can see two reasons to sue PERS over the recent changes.

Worried said...

Hello! I see that there is an upcoming meeting that includes the topic
‘Adoption of IRC and Social Security Limitations Rules’. What is this about? Thank you!

mrfearless47 said...

Applies to Tier 2 and OPSRP retirements, not Tier 1. The IRC rule was adopted first when Tier 2 was createdduring the 1995 legislature, and amended during 2003for OPSRP. The rule limits the maximum earnings on which PERS contributions can be made, and by inference, the maximum benefits that can be paid out in retirement for a Tier 2 or OPSRP retiree. The limit changes periodically depending on inflation, and adjusts in $10,000 increments. It is probably now up to a maximum of $290,000, or possiby $300,000. The last time I checked about 4 years ago, it was at $270,000. This applies to all private pension plans, and PERS adopted it in 1995 for new hires. Tier 1 members have no upper limit. Hope this helps.

Stinek said...

Question 1. Are the preliminary rates announced for the different PERS accounts usually indicative of the final amounts credited? I'm seeing that The preliminary rates for Tier 2 are 15.12%.
Question 2. Are all the excess earnings for the Tier 1 accounts after their 7.5% distribution for 2017, and the administrative payments are made, placed into the Tier One Guarantee Reserve? Since the Contingency Reserve fund has a $50 million limit, I wondered what funded that reserve, and where the funds that are not directed into the Contingency Reserve go. I believe the Tier One Guarantee Reserve and the Contingency Reserve are 2 separate "accounts".

Thank you!

mrfearless47 said...

@stinek. 1). The preliminary rates are close to the final amounts, but there are usualy minor changes (fractions of percent) that enter the equation before the audited rates are posted in April. 2) the Tier 1earnings over the assumed rate go into three places - rate guarantee reserve, benefits-in-force reserve (retirees),and can be directed to pay down the UAL. The impact of all three of these reserves is to lower the UAL, regardless of which specific fund gets the money.

Worried said...

Hello! Will the recent dramatic changes in the stock market affect the IAP earnings for 2017? I know 2017 is over, but we haven’t been notified of the account earnings officially, so I wondered. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

mrfearless47 said...

@worried. Nope. 2017 is 2017; 2018 is a different year. IAP earnings for 2017 should be the same as Tier 2 earnings, in the 15+% range.