Sunday, November 02, 2008

After The Thrill Is Gone

I'm going to violate my rule about injecting politics (except about PERS) in this site. I am writing only to say that this has been the longest political silly season in my entire 61 years of existence. It is no longer fun, no longer inspiring, and just seems mean, nasty, and ugly. There has not been a single campaign whose approach I liked (after the first 15 minutes). I've been badgered for money, hectored for money, abused for money, and no matter how much you give, it isn't enough. All for the privilege of watching, hearing, or reading another savage attack on another politician. I no longer care at this point what happens on Tuesday (OK, hyperbole, I do care), but I am so sick of politics that I wish to be disconnected completely from it for about 2 years. Unfortunately, the way our system is structured, we'll be freed from politicking (not politics) only from about January 1, until after the first 100 days of Congress and the Presidency. After that, everyone starts thinking about and organizing the next election cycle. Yuck.

I'm spending this afternoon with some old friends and some new friends at the home of the children of one of Oregon's most beloved politicians, long-retired from the game. It will be a pleasure to have something else to talk about for a change.

For me the thrill ended about two months ago. What about you?

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm thinking about a long soak in a hot tub to get all the mud off me!
I did see a few Kurt Schrader ads which seemed somewhat positive.
I didn't know what to do?!?!?

Ryan

It's me said...

I am so sickened and saddened by the political system. It truly makes me heartsick to see how "sensation mad" we've become.

I'll be sitting in the basement with a fire in the fireplace and a cocktail in my hand, grieving the loss of my country (no matter which party wins).

TruthSeeker said...

It's a little much...but there is a chance that the downward spiral in America may be haulted or slowed by the election of a progressive congress and executive for the first time since Lyndon Johnson. I hope.