Monday, June 02, 2008

Second Hand News

Andy Warhol once said that every person is entitled to 15 minutes of fame. I've probably had at least 45, so I'm not due any more famousness yet. But, every once in awhile, an opportunity comes along that I might not be able to refuse. I got an email today from a reporter for USA Today, that bastion of national reporting run by Al Neuharth. The article he is writing is about, among other things, the 2003 Oregon PERS reforms. Apparently, he's been talking to those behind the changes and possibly the PERS senior leadership (I don't actually know, really), but he's discovered that they're pretty happy with all the changes (as the French would say, quel surprise!). He wanted to know whether he could interview me to get another take on the reforms, or suggest someone else he could talk to. Lawyers are never good people to include in your story, because, frankly, no one trusts anything a lawyer says. So, like the dutiful soldier I am, I volunteered to be interviewed. I even gave the fellow my phone number so he could call me and, if this follows all my other interview experiences, misquote me directly.

I will report back here if the phone call comes in. I'm not holding my breath, but I was pleasantly surprised that someone gave him my name. Or maybe he just knows how to use Google effectively and found my name showing up with frequent criticisms of Oregon PERS. We'll see.

No comments: