Friday, January 11, 2008

You Know I'm No Good

There is a penetrating and occasionally nasty commentary about Greg MacPherson's latest "Mac Report". You can read it on Jack Bog's Blog under the heading entitled "Macpherson Takes a Hard Left". As most readers know, I hold Macpherson accountable for much of the current PERS debacle and the assault on public employees and PERS retirees. Jack's analysis and the reader comments add much further dimension to my distaste for Macpherson and why I wouldn't want a pension lawyer being the state's top attorney. He's too one-dimensional to be qualified for the job. And, if you don't want to read the analysis, just keep in mind that Jack Bogdanski was a law partner with Greg Macpherson and John Kroger teaches with him at Lewis and Clark. Few others can claim that degree of knowledge of both candidates. I can't imagine any PERS member or retiree *willingly* voting for Macpherson, but in case you've been out of the loop for awhile, John Kroger is a far more qualified person for the job and he doesn't carry the PERS baggage that Macpherson does.

Think of it this way. If Kroger defeats Macpherson in the May primary, Macpherson not only doesn't get the AG's job, but he's also out of the Legislative pictures. It isn't too often that you get to kill two birds with one vote. Go Kroger.

4 comments:

Jack Bogdanski said...

I haven't picked a candidate in that race. If you read my post, you'll see that I said that Macpherson's motives in criticizing the domestic partnerships court ruling likely have to do with the race that he's currently in. But what would you expect?

mrfearless47 said...

I am very aware you haven't endorsed a candidate in the AG race. But, you do offer a unique window into each candidate - a window that few other people have. And so, when you make observations about a candidate I despise - especially when the candidate's motives are so transparent - I want other readers to read them, and the associated comments. I make no secret of my distaste for Macpherson. I also want to make sure that every potentially negative comment about him is aired widely. I want him to go home - back to Stoel, Rives full time. I've had more than my share of him as my legislative rep throughout his Legislative career. I don't want a pension lawyer cluttering up the AG's office.

Rollie said...

I have found some good discussion of candidates Kroger and Macpherson at blueoregon.com. Also google Kroger and review his policy positions. It appears that Kroger has put out a number of constructive policy papers that will serve Oregon's citizens well. Macpherson seems to be relying on cronyism to get elected. I am with fearless .... I don't want Machperson because I don't like what he did to PERS. But there are more reasons than this to NOT support Machpherson. Kroger is the man. Send money to Kroger.

mrfearless47 said...

My distaste for Macpherson begins with his positions taken in 2003 on PERS reform and continues each month my benefit has been reduced. He's been my representative since he was elected in 2002 and so I've had an opportunity to see him in action, in the legislature, at town halls, and in my living room. He's smarmy, he's unlikeable, and I want him defeated. Taking him out in the primary is really important because it will end his political career - at least in the near term. Kroger will be formidable opponent and the readers here would be well served to go to the BlueOregon site for more fodder against Macpherson and *for* Kroger. I have already sent in money to Kroger and will send more. I make no secret of my support for Kroger and will continue to publish anti-Macpherson rhetoric. Since this is a PERS website, I'm trying to stay on that message. Consequently, most of my posts will pertain to stuff that disses Macpherson. Kroger had nothing to do with PERS and so unless he pipes up with something relevant, I'm merely going to remind people HERE of Macpherson's culpability in the ongoing scandal involving PERS. I'll support Kroger at other websites.