Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hungry Heart

You'll notice a new element on the upper left of this site. I've joined Kevin Bacon's "Six Degrees" web network. The goal of "Six Degrees" is to raise money for charity. At a certain level, Kevin Bacon himself will match the donations made to Oregon Food Bank through this site on a dollar for dollar basis. Since the sight of hungry people in our affluent country really angers, bewilders, and frustrates me, I have decided that it is my "pet" cause. My wife and I give substantial amounts of money annually to the Oregon Food Bank. My daughter does volunteer work there through her school's community service program. I know that I can't single-handedly stamp out hunger in our community, but I want to do whatever I can to raise people's awareness of this significant problem in our society. I provide the news and commentary here with no expectation of financial remuneration. Many people have indicated how valuable they find the site. If you really find the site valuable, please consider making a small (or large) donation to the Oregon Food Bank through this site. Not only will you be helping people in genuine need in our own communities, you will also be indirectly showing support for the work I'm doing on your behalf. My only regret with the "Six Degrees" organization has been their inability to get the credit card companies to donate their fees and charges so that 100% of the money donated can go directly to the Oregon Food Bank. You can offset this yourself, or let "Six Degrees" deduct it from your donation. It is up to you. Regardless of how you feel about this feature, please do consider making a donation. It is the least you can do to make me feel that my efforts here are worthwhile. Thank you.

No comments: