Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pay The Devil

I don't know whether this is good news or bad news, but I've now heard from about half a dozen people who've gotten their invoices from PERS. First, for the good news. It appears that my Lipscomb calculator is providing people with nearly dead accurate estimates of their adjusted benefits from PERS. The bad news is that I figured it out and programmed it correctly. It is always nice for a programmer to know that his work turns out to be good and reasonably accurate. But this was one instance where I had secretly hoped that my calculator would provide worst case scenarios rather than dead accurate predictions. Any inaccuracies found in the calculator versus PERS' actual invoiced amounts are, in all likelihood, the result of the fixed date for implementation built into the calculator, which is different from the actual date of implementation by PERS. But as we get closer and closer to July 1, 2007, the size of the estimates between my calculator and PERS' invoices should decrease. Other possible sources of inaccurancies result from accounts with a variable component remaining at retirement, buy backs of waiting time, and other nuances that just aren't possible for me to program as the rules are too complex for me to distill into a single-purpose calculator. But, for 85% of the "window retirees", my calculator should give results good enough for people to depend on as a fairly reasonable portrayal of their actual tariff to the devil. For whatever that's worth.

No comments: