Thursday, December 21, 2006

Way Down in the Hole

I've gotten a note from PERS stating that some points I made in my December 14 "Money Made Me Mean" entry are misleading or wrong. Rather than try to summarize a complex response, I'm seeking permission from PERS to publish the email so that it can clarify; not me. I can tell you the general areas of correction: 1) the "Notice of Contest" may NOT be the appropriate form to contest an invoice (it depends on the status of the recipient and whether or not the recipient has already gotten a formal Notice of Entitlement); 2) that copying in all the various PERS people won't preserve a member's right; that can only be done with the official contest (or appropriate equivalent); and 3) there are certain circumstances where a Full Formula recipient COULD owe PERS money. As I said, the email I received is short and very succinct. It would be a disservice to my readers if *I* tried to summarize something already pretty concise. I will post it in its entirety as soon as I receive permission. If I don't receive permission, I will publish a damn close paraphrase. Stay tuned ...

No comments: