Friday, December 15, 2006

Let Your Light Shine

Despite my seemingly cranky mood of late, I'm actually in a giving spirit. The health gods have been good to me and to my family this year, and we've celebrated intermittently all year by donating to our favorite charities. We usually double-down at this time of year as all the charities are hit particularly hard at the Christmas season. In the spirit of this season, I want to offer a special challenge to readers of this blog. On Tuesday December 19th, I am participating in a special blogger's event held at Jack Bogdanski's blog site (http://bojack.org). I have already offered $500 to match money contributed to the Oregon Food Bank. In this spirit, I am asking my readers to do something a bit different. Between today and next Friday (December 22), I am requesting that you make a contribution to YOUR favorite charity (not political party or 527 organization, please), in an amount appropriate to your means and what you feel you get from this blog. Send me a note by 12/22 indicating where you've donated and, if you feel comfortable, how much you've donated. We will match the first $1000 worth of donations by contributing that much extra to some of our favorite charities. Let's show the world that we PERS members and retirees are concerned about helping those less fortunate than we are and that we put OUR money where the light shines best.

Have a most joyous holiday.


P.S. If you want suggestions for charitable organizations, please don't hesitate to ask. Here are a few I've given to various readers who've asked: Oregon Food Bank, Virginia Garcia Medical Clinics, Loaves and Fishes, Child Aid, Susan Komen Breast Cancer Research, Your Local Church Foodbanks. This is just a partial list, but includes my wife's and my favorite recipients of our charity dollars. Please do not feel obligated to donate to any of these. We only ask that you consider those less fortunate than you and contribute whatever you can.

No comments: