Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Fixing a Hole

Or filling a need. At several people's request, I have provided a Mac version of my Lipscomb Calculator. See link at left under Lipscomb Calculator. The Mac version is at the very bottom of the page. I have no idea whether it works, and no way to test it. The person who compiled it for me claims it works fine. I'll have to take his word for it until I hear otherwise or get separate confirmation. I don't have a Mac and I don't even know the way you might run it. I can tell you that you will probably need to run it in the Mac equivalent of an X11 terminal window (not's not inside the nice pretty GUI the Mac has). But from there you're out of luck with advice from me. Give it a whirl. Report back to me. If someone who's Mac savvy gets it to run, could you write up some simple instructions and send them on to me to share with others. Good luck.

P.S. I've still heard nothing from PERS about the computational methodology and don't have full example data for the press release data.

P.P.S Thanks to Dick Koch of University of Oregon for making the Lipscomb calculator a bit more download friendly. Dick converted the file here (which works fine, btw) to a dmg file. When users click the link and download the Mac version, it will deposit itself on the Mac desktop, where it will either open in a browser window, or if the user double-clicks the desktop icon, it will open a terminal window and run the program. Thanks again Dick.

No comments: