Thursday, June 02, 2005

No Birds Today

Telling me that the Supreme Court will release Lipscomb this week. In fact, the Supreme Court website indicates that the Court will release two decisions tomorrow, but neither one is the City of Eugene case. There is a bunch of speculation -- as usual, all without any substantiating evidence -- that the Court is planning to wait out the Legislature before releasing this decision. Since the Lipscomb decision really has no budget ramifications for the 2005-2007 biennium (new employer rates already approved; PERS has funds in reserve to cover costs of reversal of Lipscomb) I can't see why there would be any benefit to waiting. Indeed, if there were a financial crisis, the Governor could always call the Legislature back into special session within days after adjourning the regular session. I think the court will simply release the decision when it's ready to do so, whether the Legislature is in session or not. I'm still holding to my "before the 4th of July" estimate. I figure it is as good an estimate as anyone else's.

No comments: