Friday, May 27, 2005

Knocking on Heaven's Door

On the eve of this Memorial Day weekend, I depart from my usual screeds to remember a whole bunch of people who mean so much to me. Many of these people left long before their time was up; in other cases they had rich, full lives but whose supersized life really challenges me to live only in the shadow of their memory. Consider me selfish - I wish all these people were still around. On the other hand, more than a few of these people would barely recognize the place. Rest in peace: Mom (you were too damn young to leave. You didn't get to meet Susan or Liz, and we never had a chance to reconcile our lifelong differences); Dad (my personal WW II hero); Irene (the best damn mother in law any man could ask for); Cece (you were never as mean and gruff as you thought you were; in fact, you were just an old softie and I appreciate your suspending all your prejudices to let me share a part of your life); Alex (life is so unfair - you never had a chance from the day you were born); Wayne (thanks for hiring me and thanks for being the intellectual and scholarly role model you were); Dan (thanks for being there when I needed you); Tom (you're forgiven for not minding the store); Ann (I only did what I had to do; it was never personal); Joe (thanks for stepping aside to let me have a chance); and Vera (my heroine and role model for all the many things that unsung state workers do on a daily basis to make everyone's life a whole lot easier).

Finally, let me take a moment to honor all those men and women who defend our country in the armed services. I may not abide political decisions to enter into armed conflict, but I have nothing but admiration, respect, and gratitude for your service to our country. A special note to my nephew Adam: we love ya man. We thank the lord daily that you came home from Baghdad with everything still in tact (including your wicked sense of humor). Eighteen months of combat can suck the life out of you and everything around you. It didn't do it to you. You da man.

No comments: