Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Be True

I've been mildly rebuked by one of my PERS sources for jumping to conclusions about why the memo on statutory reserves (see "Desperadoes Under the Eaves") was removed from the April 15, 2005 Board packet and agenda. The item was never supposed to be on the Board agenda for April 15, nor was the memo supposed to be in the packet for the same meeting. It was a draft memo circulating for internal review and the memo will be taken up at a future meeting discussing 2004 Earnings Crediting. It was mistakenly added to the agenda and mistakenly included in the packet. As I pointed out in response, everyone would have been fine if PERS, as in the past, had posted an updated agenda that referenced the change and the removal of the document from the packet. It was the silent removal of the document and the silent change of the agenda that concerned me most. In the past, PERS was very upfront and public about agenda changes so I neither asked nor felt I had to ask. It just didn't feel right. As for the memo itself, nothing in it surprises me even mildly as it follows quite obviously from reading the ORS.

No comments: